Liturgy of the Word dismissal is the practice of having the children, ages 4-12, leave the Sunday assembly during the Liturgy of the Word and gather in a separate environment to engage in the Liturgy of the Word at a level more appropriate to the children’s understanding. The purpose of making the liturgical experience more accessible to the assembled children is to nourish their faith experience and to affirm their value as important participants in the liturgy of God’s Word.
Typical Tasks and Responsibilities:
- LWD catechists leave with the children after the opening prayer.
- Each catechist receives a book and an outline of the session, which usually lasts 15-20 minutes.
- The children hear the Word of God on their own level.
- Discuss the significance of the readings with the children.
- Lead children back into the church when the sermon is over (preparation rite).
Volunteers are required be Diocese of Trenton to attend VIRTUS training and background check with fingerprinting.
Meets during the Sunday Masses 10:00 am, 12:00 noon and 5 pm (Sunday 5 pm is Nov. 2015 - March 6, 2016)